Wemindji is a small Cree community a short way inland from James Bay, with a
population of 1200.
At the mouth of the Maquatua River lies Wemindji - painted
mountains. The name originates from the ochre found in the hills. This ochre was
mixed with grease to make paint. This small community, once located on an island
on Vieux-Comptoir River, was also called Paint Hills, Old Factory and
Vieux-Comptoir. Around 1686, the Compagnie du Nord and French Knight Pierre de
Troyes deployed soldiers in the area and managed to dislodge the English from
the HBC and take control of the bay for a short time. In 1935, the HBC opened a
new trading post. In 1959, the village was moved toward the coast where overall
conditions were more favourable.
unpaved road connects the community to the James
Bay Road, 96km to the west.
Cree Nation of Wemindji Website:
For more info call (819) 978-0264.